Thursday, September 22, 2005

How it started

It all started when I saw a post I wanted to reply to.
The post was a commentary on bible readers, and I decided to add the following comment:
The first commandment says, " Thou shalt have no other gods before me". This would seem to prohibit worshipping a text as " The word of god".
To add this comment, I had to register with Blogger, and, in effect, start a blog. This is something I had been considering for a while, and had been saving material to be used.
This also had the effect of stirring up some bible worshippers. I suppose this was to be expected. Bible/jesus worship is a religion based on converting the non-believer to their way of thinking, and debate is a part of this process. When you say anything that a bjw does not agree with, you can expect a reply. You can also expect the reply to get personal and mean, and to create ill will for jesus.
I may further develop my ideas about god, jesus, the bible, and life after death….the four subjects…in future posts. I have thought that if I put my thoughts into hard copy prose that it would force me to think about what I do "believe"…and even if belief is the correct word to use for these ideas.
Then again, I may not. At this point, "Chamblee54" is a tabula rasa; a newborn critter with the potential to do anything it wants. There is so much to write about, so many pictures to post, and so many things to learn and to teach. I would hate to get bogged down in semantic quarrels about god.
I will close with two thoughts about semantic quarrels about god. First, much of what I see in disagreements about religion is semantic in nature. Clearly, what I mean when I say god is different from what others mean when they say the same word. Could this be a consequence of declaring a text…i.e. the bible…to be "the word of god"? Words and languages are inventions of man, and when you label a text the word of god you tend to see god in terms of that text.
Second, these rhetoric filled discussions cause much ill will between people. Is it possible that a discussion about god, which causes ill will, is a violation of the third commandment…"Thou shalt not take the name of the lord thy god in vain; for the lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chamblee, I want to point out that nobody got "personal and mean" at Fide-O when you shared your unbelief in the Bible as God's Word. Be careful not to paint a broad brush when speaking of Christians or "Jesus worshippers" as you call us. We have strongly held convictions, as do you. We have a right and a desire to share these beliefs with others, as do you. You replied to our post and we appreciate that. We replied to your reply and you cry "foul" . . . debate, debate. Come on now, is that very open-minded. But if you are open to discussions about matters as serious as eternity then we are game. Hope to see you again at Fide-O.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home