Saturday, October 06, 2007

Barack Obama and the Flag Pin




iwearaflagundermyfiremanuniform
Barack Obama keeps saying things that appeal to me, and keeps falling further and further behind. This is the latest, courtesy of a local news service.
Iowa City - Presidential Candidate Barack Obama is trying to change political fashion. He gave a speech in Iowa City Wednesday and he wasn't wearing an American flag pin.
Those pins have become synonymous with politicians since 9-11.
Obama says he doesn't like how the pin has come to represent patriotism in America.
The senator told TV-9, "I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest, instead I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great. Hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism."

The candidate, owner of the most prominent ears since Lyndon Johnson, is not doing well in the polls. Hillary is kicking his mixed race butt.
Jesse Jackson accuses him of acting white.
It’s really a shame. Mr. O was opposed to the war in Babylon while the others were posturing over wmds'. He is a good speaker, and is younger than yours truly.
Part of the problem could be the shade of his exterior. He is expected to say things that appeal to black voters.(Hence the comment from Mr. Jackson) The only problem is that what appeals to African Americans frequently scares Whitefolk. He is in a tough spot.
The irony is, his mother was white, his father is from Kenya, and he was born in Hawaii. He is not the descendant of slaves.
This latest flap is one more thing that I like. I get tired of the flag used as jewelry, and exploited for commercial and political gain. A while back, a real estate lady in my area put a flag in everyone’s front yard, with her business card attached. I wonder how many of those flags wound up in a landfill, which is not a place of respect.
A co worker once had a sticker on her van, "try burning this one". After leaving the van in direct sunlight for a while, the pink, lavender, and beige were still there.
I have one flag on display. It is in my tool shed. I found it in a box of garbage once, while I was riding my bike. I rescued it.
But I don't use the flag as an item of jewelry. I applaud Mr. Obama for his not doing so.





Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home