Monday, May 22, 2006

details

So much for restraint. Today is the day to be totally self indulgent, and describe a day in the life in excruciating detail.
6am The alarm goes off. I turn it off and roll over in bed.
830 am I get out of bed. I am up in time to see my brother on his way to church.
I am on the internet by now, and feeling like day old feces. Yesterday was a blah day...I got some laundry done, ripped a few cd's while watching "Austin Powers", took a nap, had a glorious bike ride, and made an inflammatory comment at a jesus worship blog.
While this may count as a good day (I did not get thumped on the head), there were disappointments. My new cd/mp3 player has its limits when playing mp3's...it apparently will only play some of the tracks on a mp3_data_cd. While it is a good idea to back up my music files on a cd, I apparently will still need to make music cd's to listen to the tracks. The music that I listened to was disappointing. There is a bunch of jimi hendrix tracks that I downloaded a couple of weeks ago, and listening to them, I found them in sore need of a commercial minded editor.
So, I am on the internet, and I go to Purgatorio, and find a feature on fractals. I see an image that catches my fancy, and decide to produce a sticker picture of it.
Now, there are several steps to this process, and sometimes the process is more fun than the actual production. I made a "setup" file, which consists of the image in a box with x_y coordinates along the edges. Production wise (oxymoron alert), this is a good move, as it will enable me to see where the parts of the image are on the page. I then made a template for the actual image.
Templates are not female temples, although there is a certain similarity. After a spell of work, and a pot of coffee (I had oatmeal for breakfast), the image was ready to begin work on.
All this time, I am listening to "wrecking ball" by emmylou harris. The woman is a goddess. Also, she does not dye her hair, and looks great with grey. Old fogeys arise!!!
930 am- If I am going to work in the yard today, I need to begin now, before it gets too hot. There are two chores staring at me today...mow the grass, and move the rocks out of the driveway.
So I go out, and see that the gutters need cleaning out. I go up on the roof and pull the ...matter...out of the gutters. This stuff is not really leaves; it is mainly deteriorating flower petals and other detritus from the poplar and sweetgum trees. I throw it on the lawn, where it will feed the ...lawn (it is primarily weeds mowed close to the ground)
After I get through with the gutters, I decide that the rocks can wait until later to be put up. I still don’t know what to do with them...the stone circle doesn’t have room for many more, and the other storage places are filling up. Could it be that I need to DO SOMETHING with all these rocks?
1030 am.... I call Robert. I have been talking to him on sunday morning for a few years now, and the recreational chatter does me good. I tell him about a nature preserve I have found near buckhead, and we make tentative plans to go explore it, along with ooze, the blind chowdog.
11am.... I take some pictures to illustrate this essay. There are several things to note.
The grass seed I planted earlier this year is growing faster than the weeds, and does not fit in. This was a bad move.
There is poison ivy in the yard.
The rocks are not going to go anywhere until I move them. Nor will the dogs next door quit barking. It is a sunday morning all over...the jesus worshippers are making noise about jesus, and the dogs won’t quit barking.
The garden is going nicely. The zucchini plant has some nice blossoms, the beans and tomatoes are going well, and I haven’t found any babies under the cabbage plants.
01:37:32 PM
I soak in the bathtub for a while, get out and dressed, and put a cd on the stereo (Paper Moon by Nick Drake). As soon as the music starts, and I walk over to turn the volume down, the phone rings. It is Robert, and I agree to meet him and ooze at the caribou parking lot at 215. We are going to the nature preserve.
5:37:13 PM
So I get to caribou and wait. After a while, I look in the parking lot and robert is there.
The nature preserve was great. The trail wasn’t very long, but there is a mysterious wall at the end of it, as well as a set of steps. The steps were recently built and do not look like they will survive many hard rainfalls.
There is another part to the preserve at the end of a couple of roads. We went there, but Robert didn’t want to go back in there while wearing short pants. I went back to both parts with my camera on the way home. The second part was pretty, but full of bugs and nothing really special.
5/22/2006
6:59:42 PM
The rest of the day was nothing special. I bought a rack for dishes to dry on, and got my brother to use it without much argument, and he even said thank you later.
I did go for another bike ride before it got dark. This is the best time of year to ride, after dinner and when the heat has subsided, but while it is still light outside. Daylight savings time is a great innovation. This area is so pretty, I was thinking I was riding through a resort on saturday.
Of course, I had to work today. I have agreed to drive while the store is finding another driver, and that is mostly what I did today. As I said, I hope they find another driver soon, and have a position for me when I get back inside.
5/22/2006 8:15 PM
I thought I would go to bed early tonight, but I decided to post this feature. I picked out some pictures that I took Sunday, and reduced and saved them so I could post them.
When I post a lot of pictures, there is a certain amount of waiting involved while the things download. To pass the time, I put a movie on the VCR. Saturday, while I was ripping cd’s, it was “Austin powers”. Tonight, while I am trying to download pictures, it is “the Texas chainsaw massacre” The vampire hitchhiker just cut the cripple, and I think that is the funniest thing I have seen since….oh I will think of something.
And, blogger is not working, so I will have to post this thing without pictures. The horror.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home