Sunday, January 22, 2006

Images 0122


Probably, this is the last of the "op art" pictures.
The first of the two, 281 Blocks, is an old pattern for me. When I run out of ideas, I put a border around a pattern and do it again. I did make one change from before...the smallest units are 7/8"x7/8" (2 blocks) instead of 1/2"x 1/2" (1 block), and the big block in the center is 1 5/8"x 1 5/8"
(4 blocks), instead of 1 1/4"x1 1/4" (3 blocks).

Dozens of color schemes were produced before I chose one to build a model of, then I made lots and lots of changes on that model before I settled on a design for the final product.

Second on the hit parade, 282 yellow_x, is a slight change on the border concept. Instead of the interlocking s shapes, the border was a box of 4x4 squares. This did prove to be much easier to design and produce.
The other thing I wanted to try was Purple. I got some materials in December, and I got a pack of Purple stickers that I wanted to try. The original model was a yellow x in the middle, with the colors following in a rainbow pattern (albeit a five color rainbow)

Finishing the initial model, I saw very quickly that this was not going to work. In fact, the only thing from the original plan that made it to the final assembly is the yellow x, and two of the layers of green alongside. What I wound up with was a yellow-green x in the middle, with the rest of the box filled in with orange and blue. Purple will be used at sometime in the future. The blocks around the outside were arranged to accent the colors in the middle.
I was reminded on these two projects how I have to build the model, look at the results, and make the appropriate changes based on my instincts. There is a lot of intuition and "gut feeling" involved. Is this god talking to me? Or does it matter what the source of these images is?
And how to know when I have made enough changes, and have the best product that I can get out of this design, or maybe change the design itself. There are some who say that god doesn’t speak to man anymore. I beg to differ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home